I bought the Bettine dress by Tilly and the Buttons some time ago but thought I would finally make it.
I usually make a practice garment (toile) before I cut into my chosen fabric. This gives me the chance to make size adjustments without spoiling good fabric.
My toile was okay, but a little tight in the bottom of the skirt.
So I read the details about the different types of fabric that could be used and decided to use a jersey fabric. It was purchased from an outside stall at the Birmingham Rag market.
Working with a jersey fabric compared to the viscose toile was an easier experience. Jersey fabric does move but not as much as viscose.
I did use French seams rather than a zig zag stitch or overlocker to finish the edges. One mistake I did make was using a straight stitch instead of a stretch stitch. So the underarms popped and I had to re-stitch them.
I also used the neckband from the Linden sweatshirt pattern.
I am so pleased with this dress and will definitely be making more of them.
If you want details of the Bettine pattern go to the Tilly and the Buttons website here.