Bettine dress by Tilly and the Buttons

Hello there

I bought the Bettine dress by Tilly and the Buttons some time ago but thought I would finally make it.

I usually make a practice garment (toile) before I cut into my chosen fabric. This gives me the chance to make size adjustments without spoiling good fabric.

My toile was okay, but a little tight in the bottom of the skirt.

Poppybead Creative blog - Bettine dress

So I read the details about the different types of fabric that could be used and decided to use a jersey fabric. It was purchased from an outside stall at the Birmingham Rag market.

Working with a jersey fabric compared to the viscose toile was an easier experience. Jersey fabric does move but not as much as viscose.

I did use French seams rather than a zig zag stitch or overlocker to finish the edges. One mistake I did make was using a straight stitch instead of a stretch stitch. So the underarms popped and I had to re-stitch them.

I also used the neckband from the Linden sweatshirt pattern.

I am so pleased with this dress and will definitely be making more of them.

If you want details of the Bettine pattern go to the Tilly and the Buttons website here.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s